Strawberry and rhubarb are a classic pairing for a reason. Slightly sour rhubarb holds its own against the natural sweetness of strawberries and their complementary hues of pink and red offer a burst of warm color.
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- 2 recipes Basic Pie Dough (recipe below)
- 1 pound (680 grams) quartered fresh strawberries
- 1¼ cups (125 grams) chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons (61 grams) tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Let Basic Pie Dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under.
- In a large saucepan, heat strawberries, rhubarb, and ½ cup (100 grams) sugar over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until berries are tender, about 8 minutes. Strain fruit through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl; reserve 1 cup (221 grams) fruit juice.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together reserved 1 cup (221 grams) fruit juice, flour, salt, and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) sugar. Add fruit to juice mixture, stirring gently to combine. Pour into prepared crust.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, cut seven (½-inch-wide) strips. Create a lattice design by laying 3 strips horizontally on top of filling, evenly spaced apart. Fold back top and bottom strip. Place another strip vertically over horizontal strip. Unfold folded strips. Fold back center horizontal strip. Place another strip vertically over horizontal strips, evenly spaced apart. Unfold folded strip. Repeat with remaining strips. Trim edges of strips to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Tuck strips under bottom crust.
- With remaining dough, cut three (1½-inch-wide) strips. Lay strips on edges to form a triangle on top of lattice design. Trim edges as necessary.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Basic Pie Dough
Makes 1 (9-inch) crust
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup (60 grams) ice water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add ¼ cup (60 grams) ice water, pulsing until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
You can also make this recipe using three(5-inch) pies plates.