Warm and nutty with the perfect toothsome crunch, streusel is the baker’s version of fairy dust. It elevates everything from muffins to pies to coffee cakes. Nuts, seeds, and oats bring texture to this golden formula while mix-ins like citrus zest, herbs, vanilla bean, and ginger deliver a burst of dynamic flavor.
- Pumpkin Cake with Browned Butter Streusel This single layer cake is the essence of fall. The brown butter gives it a subtle caramel depth, while the pepita-laden streusel adds salty balance.
This cake combines salty peanuts, sweet raspberry preserves, and a drizzle of peanut butter for an all new version of our favorite lunch box staple.
3. Gluten-Free Banana Bread with Hazelnut Streusel
Hazelnut and almond flours give this gluten-free banana bread a complex, earthy flavor. We love the addition of chopped hazelnuts, in lieu of pecans or walnuts, for a twist on the original.
4. Browned Butter Hummingbird Coffee Cake
This is your best excuse for having cake for breakfast. Browned butter adds depth to this unexpected twist on the classic Southern banana-pineapple confection. Pecan streusel is just, well, the icing on the coffee cake.
5. Pear-Walnut Muffins with Vanilla Bean-Ginger Streusel
Simultaneously airy and decadent, these pear-walnut muffins are the perfect treat for fall mornings. The vanilla bean in the streusel softens the punch of the ginger to give a rich sweetness with a mellow bite.
6. Maple Date Walnut Coffee Cake
With hints of orange essence and maple complemented by a cinnamon-laced crumble, this recipe will be the pinnacle of any brunch spread.
I made the humming Bird coffee cake to take to an event it was wonderful and received many complements.. Several asked for the recipe.
PS: I love your magazine.