Steven Satterfield loves a biscuit or a scone in just about any form. So, imagine his delight when he discovered how perfectly fresh corn both sweetens and moisturizes the scone dough, spiked with jalapeño, tangy Cheddar, and spices.
Sweet Corn, Cheddar, and Jalapeño Scones
Makes 12 to 14 scones
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) chili powder
- ½ cup (113 grams) very cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2½ cups (250 grams) shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch (81 grams) scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño (34 grams), minced, including seeds
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2½ cups (380 grams) fresh corn kernels, coarsely chopped in food processor
- ½ cup (120 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (30 grams) half-and-half, divided
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Work cold butter into flour mixture, flattening fat between your thumb and forefinger and breaking it up into pea-size pieces until mixture is crumbly. (It is fine to have a few larger chunks of butter here and there.) Add Cheddar, scallions, and jalapeño to flour mixture, stirring to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, corn, and ½ cup (120 grams) half-and-half. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined and dough holds together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Dust top of dough lightly with flour, and roll to 1-inch thickness. (The dough will be sticky, so you will need to keep your hands and the rolling pin floured as well.) Using a 2½-inch square cutter, cut dough. Using a sharp knife, slice each piece of dough diagonally. Place on prepared pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or freeze for 5 minutes.
- Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons (30 grams) half-and-half, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.