This dense cake from St. Georges, Bermuda’s Sweet Saak Bakery will transport you to your own tropical paradise. With just one bite, you’ll almost feel the island breeze against your face and your toes sinking into the warm sand.
Bermudian Rum Cake
Makes 1 (10-cup) Bundt cake
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (240 grams) plus ¼ cup (60 grams) Gosling’s Bermuda Black Seal Rum, divided
- 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Add ¼ cup (60 grams) rum; beat at medium speed until well combined.
- Spray a 10-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Using a wooden skewer, poke holes in warm cake. Pour ⅓ cup (80 grams) rum over cake. Let cool for 10 to 12 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Using a wooden skewer, poke holes in top of cake. Pour ⅓ cup (80 grams) rum over cake. Let cake cool completely before glazing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and remaining ⅓ cup (80 grams) rum. Place cake on a serving platter, and drizzle with glaze. Let set before serving, about 5 minutes.
Additional confectioners’ sugar can be added to the glaze, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve a thicker consistency.
Calories: 6421 Fat: 216g Saturated fat: 128g Unsaturated fat: 71g Trans fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 898g Sugar: 569g Sodium: 2743mg Fiber: 12g Protein: 76g Cholesterol: 1257mg