With spicy jelly and melted cheese, these are perfect as a meal alongside a big salad or just as a comforting snack.
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Garlic- and Brie-Stuffed Flatbreads
- 2 medium heads garlic (200 grams)
- 1⁄3 cup (75 grams) plus 2 teaspoons (10 grams) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 cups (625 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups (360 grams) warm water (95°F/35°C)
- 3 tablespoons (63 grams) honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (8 grams) instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) fine sea salt
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water
- 18 ounces (520 grams) Brie cheese, thickly sliced
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (360 grams) hot pepper jelly
- Garnish: smoked salt or coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Cut 1⁄3 inch off top end of garlic, keeping cloves intact. Place each head of garlic, cut side up, on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons (10 grams) oil, and wrap garlic in foil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until soft, about 1 hour. Let cool completely. Squeeze pulp into a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, beat flour, 11⁄2 cups (360 grams) warm water, honey, yeast, salt, and remaining 1⁄3 cup (75 grams) oil at low speed for 2 minutes. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for 2 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until nearly doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 9 (128-gram) pieces. Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, press dough with fingers into a 6x5-inch rectangle, about 1⁄3 inch thick. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Brush egg wash onto left half of rectangle. Place 1 tablespoon (8 grams) roasted garlic in center of left side of rectangle, and spread in an even layer. Top with 2 ounces Brie and 2 tablespoons (40 grams) pepper jelly. Fold dough over filling, and press edges firmly to seal. Place on prepared pans. Brush dough with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Bake until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.