The Vow of Silence (courtesy of Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery) is a stirred and spirituous cocktail by the makers of Belle Meade Bourbon, a brand that dates back to the pre-Prohibition era. The name of this cocktail is derived from the Benedictine monks who are fabled to take a vow of silence. Pair this citrusy cocktail with the double chocolate Turtle Brownies. This recipe is from our Editor-in-Chief Brian Hart Hoffman’s book, The Coupe (Hoffman Media, 2016).
- 2 ounces Belle Meade Bourbon
- ¾ ounce Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth
- ¼ ounce Bénédictine
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- Garnish: expressed lemon peel*
- Place bourbon, vermouth, Bénédictine, and bitters in a mixing glass, and stir briefly with ice. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with expressed lemon peel, if desired.