Boasting caramelized edges, a chewy crumb, and a topping of rosemary and juicy tomatoes, our Tomato Sourdough Focaccia will turn this season’s tomato harvest into a fresh-baked masterpiece. The best part? This focaccia has all the tanginess of sourdough without the need for you to build your own starter! We used Platinum®Instant Sourdough Yeast from Red Star®—a revolutionary blend of instant yeast, sourdough culture, and dough strengtheners—to give this recipe a pillowy, open crumb and addictive sour notes minus the hassle of a homemade sourdough starter. Coming together in a snap and feeding a crowd, this is the savory stunner you’ll turn to all summer long.
To try a free sample of Red Star’s® Platinum® Instant Sourdough Yeast, head here and fill out the form.
For more ways with sourdough, pick up a copy of our July/August 2019 issue!
- 4 cups (500 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 (0.63-ounce) package (18 grams) Platinum® Instant Sourdough Yeast from Red Star®*
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ cups (360 grams) warm water (120°F/49°C to 130°F/54°C)
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups (250 grams) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic (5 grams), minced
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) flaked sea salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together flour, Platinum Instant Sourdough Yeast, and kosher salt by hand. Add 1½ cups (360 grams) warm water and 2 tablespoons (28 grams) oil, and beat at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grease a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons (28 grams) oil. Turn out dough onto prepared baking sheet. With oiled fingers, gently press dough into a 10-inch circle. Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and let rest in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 30 minutes.
- With oiled fingers, press dough into a 14x11-inch oval. Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Gently press dimples into surface of dough. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon (14 grams) oil. Top with tomatoes, rosemary, and garlic. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.