With milk chocolate and drinking chocolate in the batter and a luscious White Chocolate Ganache center, these tender Triple-Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cookies offer all the coziness of a cup of hot cocoa. A blend of cocoa and ground red pepper sprinkled on top adds warmth and subtle spice to each bite.
Triple-Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (85 grams) chopped milk chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (40 grams) unsweetened drinking chocolate powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- White Chocolate Ganache (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in cooled melted chocolate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, drinking chocolate, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Using a 1½-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and roll into smooth balls (29 grams each). Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Using the back of the scoop, gently make an indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven, and press down centers again. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Pipe White Chocolate Ganache into center of each cookie. In a small bowl, stir together cocoa and red pepper. Dust cocoa mixture onto cookies.
White Chocolate Ganache
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 cup (170 grams) chopped white chocolate
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy whipping cream
- Place white chocolate in a large heatproof bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil over medium heat. Pour hot cream over white chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
What brand of drinking chocolate did you use for this recipe?
We used Guittard Grand Cacao Drinking Chocolate Sweet Ground Cocoa, a mix of Dutch process cocoa powder and ground chocolate. You can order it online or find it at our local grocery stores. Happy baking!