Double-chocolate brownies layered with caramel filling and topped with chocolate-covered pecans just might be the perfect indulgent dessert. Pair these delectable Turtle Brownies from our Editor-in-Chief Brian Hart Hoffman’s book, The Coupe (Hoffman Media, 2016), with The Vow of Silence, our bourbon cocktail recipe with strong notes of citrus to cut through the decadent brownies.
Makes 8 servings
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 (4-ounce) bar 60% bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (0.75 gram) kosher salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel Sauce (recipe below)
- Garnish: Caramel Sauce (recipe below), Chocolate-Covered Pecans (recipe below), vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking pan with foil, letting 2 to 3 inches extend over sides of pan; lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chopped chocolate on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth (1½ to 2 minutes total). Whisk in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking until combined after each addition. Whisk in flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently stir in chocolate morsels and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 1 hour. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan, and cut into small triangles.
- Layer brownie triangles and Caramel Sauce in 8 coupe glasses. Garnish with Caramel Sauce, Chocolate-Covered Pecans, and ice cream. Serve immediately.
Makes 1½ cups
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly (mixture will be thick). Carefully pour in cream (mixture will foam), vanilla, and salt. Remove from heat, and stir to combine. Let cool slightly. Pour into a glass jar, and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
- ½ cup (85 grams) miniature semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 22 pecan halves, toasted
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate morsels and cream on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1 minute total). Dip pecan halves halfway into chocolate, and place on a sheet of parchment paper; let dry.