Simplicity says it all in this heavenly tasting classic Angel Food Cake that fills the kitchen with the rich, pure scent of vanilla as it bakes. Find more recipes for Classic Cakes, here.
Vanilla Bean Angel Food Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) tube cake
- 2 cups (200 grams) cake flour
- 1¾ cups (350 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups egg whites (from about 14 large eggs), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add vanilla bean seeds, vanilla extract, and remaining ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar, beating until medium moist peaks form. (Do not beat until stiff.) Transfer egg white mixture to a large bowl. Gradually fold in flour mixture just until combined. (Do not overmix.) Gently spread batter into an ungreased 10-cup tube pan.
- Bake until cake is firm to the touch, about 50 minutes. Invert pan onto a bottle or wire rack. Let cool completely. Using an offset spatula, loosen cake from sides of pan. Carefully remove pan. Place cake on a serving plate, and dust with confectioners’ sugar.