Heilala Vanilla brings a warm richness to this berry-studded loaf cake that’s perfect for summertime. With a soft, tender crumb, bursts of berry flavor, and a thick coating of delicious glaze, this pound cake is the ideal summertime sweet treat morning, noon, or night.
Vanilla Bean Berry Pound Cake with Sour Cream
Makes 1 (8½ x 4½-inch) cake
- 2 cups (223 grams) fresh berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries (see Note), patted dry
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (8 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) lemon zest
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) sour cream
- Sour Cream Vanilla Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh berries, mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend over sides of pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together berries and 1 tablespoon (8 grams) flour; set aside. 3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla bean paste and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1¼ cups (156 grams) flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in berry mixture. (Batter will be thick.) Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Spread Sour Cream Vanilla Glaze onto cooled cake. Garnish with berries and mint, if desired.
Avoid using strawberries in this loaf, as they lose their color when baked and may leave wet spots in the cake crumb.
Sour Cream Vanilla Glaze
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) sour cream
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) Heilala Vanilla Extract
- In a small bowl, place confectioners’ sugar, sour cream, and vanilla. Using a fork, stir until smooth. (Mixture will seem too dry at first, but it should come together.) Stir in water, a few drops at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Use immediately.