These two-bite treats are simple to make and excellent with a strong cup of coffee in the morning.
Vanilla Cardamom Madeleines
- 3 extra-large eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (32 grams) cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (0.75 gram) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (30 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 24-well madeleine pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in melted butter. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Stir flour mixture into batter with a rubber spatula. Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each shell almost full.
- Bake until madeleines spring back when pressed, 10 to 12 minutes. Tap madeleines out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar and cardamom to remove any lumps. Sift over warm madeleines, and serve immediately.
*We used Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract