Studded with cranberries, currants, and walnuts, this Whole Wheat Quick Bread will become your go-to breakfast. Served warm with a pat of butter, it’ll taste twice as sinful as it actually is. Find more quick bread recipes in our newest cookbook, Bake From Scratch Volume 3!
Whole Wheat Quick Bread
Makes 1 (8x4-inch) loaf
- ¾ cup (180 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup (120 grams) applesauce
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (85 grams) maple syrup
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (130 grams) white whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (64 grams) dried cranberries, divided
- 8 tablespoons (64 grams) dried currants, divided
- 8 tablespoons (56 grams) chopped walnuts, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8x4-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, applesauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla. Add flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda, whisking just until combined. Fold in 7 tablespoons (56 grams) cranberries, 7 tablespoons (56 grams) currants, and 7 tablespoons (49 grams) walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cranberries, remaining 1 tablespoon (8 grams) currants, and remaining 1 tablespoon (7 grams) walnuts.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.