Perfect for summer, this simple tart features a creamy almond filling studded with fresh plums and topped with an almond cream topping that bakes to golden perfection.
Almond Plum Tart
Makes 1 (10-inch) tart
- 10 tablespoons (140 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- 1½ cups (188 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (16 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup (24 grams) almond meal
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (227 grams) almond paste
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup (50 grams) plus 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) almond extract
- 4 to 5 plums (496 grams), pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- ½ cup (57 grams) sliced raw almonds
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) orange blossom water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place softened butter, confectioners’ sugar, egg yolk, 1½ cups (188 grams) flour, almond meal, and vanilla; process until dough just comes together and forms a uniform ball, about 1 minute. Press into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch removable-bottom tart pan; trim excess dough. Freeze for about 15 minutes.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place almond paste, ½ cup (113) room temperature butter, 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar, and remaining 2 tablespoons (16 grams) flour; process until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, cream, and almond extract; process until smooth. Spread in frozen tart shell. Arrange plums, cut side up, in filling.
- In a small bowl, combine almonds, orange zest, orange blossom water, and remaining ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar. (Mixture should resemble lightly wet sand.) Sprinkle onto tart.
- Bake until filling is set and golden, about 50 minutes, covering with foil 40 minutes into baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool completely in pan. Remove from pan, and serve.