Set in our buttery Pâte Brisée and garnished with candied apple slices, this Apple Maple Tart is simple yet refined and even tastier when topped with the remaining reduced maple syrup.
Apple Maple Tart
Makes 1 (9-inch) tart
- Pâte Brisée (recipe follows)
- 1½ cups (506 grams) pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks (56 grams)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (32 grams) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60 grams) water
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) fresh lime juice
- Garnish: Candied Apple Slices (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Pâte Brisée into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake 5 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, bring maple syrup and cream to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes; reduce heat to medium.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and ¼ cup (60 grams) water. In a slow, steady stream, add maple syrup mixture to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return egg mixture to saucepan. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in butter and lime juice. Let cool slightly. Pour into prepared crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, about 2 hours. Garnish with Candied Apple Slices, if desired.
Makes 1 (9-inch) tart shell
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons (155 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cold water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, salt, and sugar; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add eggs and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cold water in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.
Candied Apple Slices
Makes enough for 1 (9-inch) tart
- ½ cup (170 grams) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) fresh lime juice
- 2 small red apples (280 grams), thinly sliced crosswise
- In a large skillet, combine maple syrup and lime juice. Arrange apple slices in a single layer in pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until apples are softened and syrup has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove apples from pan, and place on parchment paper to let cool completely. Reserve syrup in pan to drizzle over tart, if desired.