The iconic flavors of banana and chocolate meet in our whimsical naked cake. Mashed banana adds a soft tenderness to the crumb of our buttermilk cake base while piped dollops of Chocolate Buttercream impart a boost of cocoa richness.
Banana Cake with Chocolate Buttercream
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole buttermilk
- 1 cup (227 grams) mashed banana
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (112 grams) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375 grams) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- Chocolate Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Spray 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, buttermilk, mashed banana, granulated sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture, whisking just until combined. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Level cakes, if desired. Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter. Place Chocolate Buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a 9/16-inch (about ½-inch) round piping tip (Ateco #807). Starting from pastry edge and working toward center, pipe tall circles (about 1¾ inches at base of circle) on cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Pipe another layer of tall buttercream circles. Use any remaining buttercream to fill in any holes and decorate top of cake. Garnish with chopped chocolate, if desired. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- 2 cups (454 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 5 cups (600 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup (85 grams) Dutch process cocoa power
- 5 tablespoons (75 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and salt at low speed until smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Slowly add sugar mixture, about 1 cup at a time, to butter mixture alternately with cream, about 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.