This Banana Coconut Cream Pie is perfect for the home baker who doesn’t want to choose between two Southern favorites. Top this pie from blogger Kate Wood with a cloud of whipped cream and fresh banana slices, and a sprinkle of toasted coconut is great here as well. Find more recipes for icebox pies from Kate in our 2018 Southern-themed May/June Issue, here!
Banana Coconut Cream Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons (48 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 2⅔ cups (640 grams) whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks (74 grams), lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter
- 2½ teaspoons (10 grams) vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup (60 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 large ripe bananas (248 grams), sliced
- Vanilla-Coconut Crust (recipe follows)
- 1½ cups (360 grams) heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: 1 medium banana (113 grams), sliced
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup (200 grams) sugar, flour, and salt. Slowly whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle about 1 cup hot milk mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly. Pour egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in saucepan, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter and 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla, stirring until combined. Stir in coconut. Let cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Layer bananas in bottom of prepared Vanilla-Coconut Crust. Spoon filling over bananas. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. For best results, refrigerate overnight.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining ¼ cup (50 grams) sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla, and beat until thickened and cloud-like. Dollop whipped cream onto filling, and top with banana slices, if desired.
- 50 Vanilla Wafers (185 grams)
- ¾ cup (45 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (84 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together vanilla wafers, coconut, and salt until fine crumbs remain. Add melted butter, and pulse to combine. Press mixture into bottom and halfway up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely. Using excess parchment as handles, gently remove crust.
We used a square baking dish, but this recipe will also work in a standard round deep-dish pie plate.
[…] Banana Coconut Cream Pie recipe caught my eye. I love banana cream, and Michael loves coconut. […]
I’ve made this several times, and it’s become one of my most requested recipes!