With vibrant color and crave-worthy crunch, rainbow sprinkles simply add extra joy to a celebration. If you are looking to satisfy a pie enthusiast on their birthday or searching for a way to switch up your usual cake, this Birthday Pie is the ultimate party treat.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) almond extract
- 1½ cups (188 grams) unbleached cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (64 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (10 grams) rainbow sprinkles*, divided
- Vanilla-Almond Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium-low speed just until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium; beat until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in ⅓ cup (64 grams) sprinkles.
- Spray a tall-sided 10-inch fluted round removable-bottom tart pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with a small offset spatula. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon (10 grams) sprinkles on top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove sides of pan; let cool completely on pan base on a wire rack.
- Using a large offset spatula, carefully loosen cake from pan base; place cake on a serving plate. Spoon Vanilla-Almond Buttercream into a pastry bag fitted with a coupler; pipe buttercream on top of cooled cake using assorted small piping tips (Wilton No. 10, Wilton No. 21, Wilton No. 199). Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
*We used Betty Crocker Rainbow Jimmies.
Makes about 1¼ cups
- 6 tablespoons (84 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) almond extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and salt at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar alternately with cream, beginning and ending with confectioners’ sugar, beating just until combined. Beat in extracts.
- Increase mixer speed to medium; beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Use immediately.