Sharp cheddar cheese pairs perfectly with the nuttiness of pecans in these Black Pepper, Cheddar, and Pecan Scones. So delicious, they don’t even need a glaze.
Black Pepper, Cheddar, and Pecan Scones
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons (4 to 6 grams) ground black pepper, according to preference
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (57 grams) toasted chopped pecans
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- Ground black pepper and Maldon sea salt, for finishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 2. In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, baking powder, salt,
- and desired amount of pepper; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl, and fold in Cheddar, pecans, and 1 cup cream, stirring until combined. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly, just until dough comes together. Press dough into prepared cake pan. Turn out, and using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon cream. Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and sprinkle with extra pepper and salt, if desired. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.