As they say, presentation is everything, and this Breakfast Braid delivers brunch-time wow. We wrapped some of our favorite breakfast foods like eggs (sunny side up!), ham, and cheese in a to-die-for homemade pizza dough.
Makes 1(13-inch) braid
- 11⁄2 cups warm water (105°F to 110°F)
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages (14 grams) active dry yeast 21⁄2 teaspoons (10 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 cups (500 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup (56 grams) olive oil
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 1 pound thinly sliced smoked deli ham
- 1 (6-ounce) package sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) black sesame seeds
- For dough: In a small bowl, combine 11⁄2 cups warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour and salt; pulse until combined. With processor running, add yeast mixture and oil. Pulse until a ball forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough. Punch dough down, and gently shape into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
- For filling: Heat skillet over medium-low heat. Gently crack 4 eggs into skillet; fry until yolks are set, 4 to 5 minutes.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll dough into a 16x13-inch rectangle. Trim rough edges. Layer ham, cheese, and spinach lengthwise down center third of dough. Top with fried eggs. With a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut 3⁄4-inch diagonal strips on both sides of filling. Fold top and bottom pieces over filling, and braid strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating left and right. Transfer to a baking sheet. Beat remaining 1 egg, and lightly brush top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.