These buttermilk drop biscuits are tender, flaky, and saturated with butter flavor. Drop biscuits require a minimal amount of handling, resulting in wonderfully light biscuits: slightly crisp at the edges, and tender in the center.
Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ¾ cup (170 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Using a 1-ounce spring-loaded scoop, drop biscuits onto prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm.