Think of this as a breakfast bread version of bananas Foster. Crowned with golden Caramelized Banana halves and offering a hint of cinnamon flavor, this loaf is all about taking the banana to the nth power of sweetness.
Caramelized Banana Bread
Makes 1 (8½x4½-inch) loaf
- 1⅔ cups (209 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- 1⅛ cups (255 grams) mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup plus 2 teaspoons (86 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (60 grams) sour cream
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- Caramelized Banana (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Lightly spray a 8½x4½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, brown sugar, melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. Fold flour mixture into banana mixture just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Place Caramelized Banana halves, cut side up, on top of batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes about 2 halves
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 medium banana (124 grams), halved lengthwise
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Gently press brown sugar onto each cut side of banana. Place bananas, cut side down, in skillet; cook until bananas are golden brown and caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes. Gently turn, and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; set aside until ready to use.