Our top carrot cake recipe, brimming with raisins, walnuts, carrots, and crushed pineapple then slathered in cream cheese frosting, is as timeless as it is flavorful.
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 3⅓ cups (417 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2⅓ cups (467 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (128 grams) golden raisins
- ¾ cup (85 grams) chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground nutmeg
- 4 cups finely grated carrot
- 2 (8-ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (224 grams) canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper, and spray pans again.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Add carrot, pineapple, eggs, oil, and vanilla, stirring until well combined. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 6 cups
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (2-pound) package (910 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until creamy, 4 to 5 minutes.
I love the recipes you send. They really make me look like I can bake.
I need to make a 3 tiered wedding carrot cake , do you think this cake will be sturdy enough to tier
thank you for reaching out! We have never tried to tier this cake before. It is a very moist cake so it might not be as sturdy. We recommend baking one cake first and testing for yourself. We will say, it is mighty delicious! Happy Baking!
Cake sounds delicious and I love the beautiful cake stand. Can you tell me where I could purchase the stand? Thank you.
Hi Amy, thanks of reaching out! We unfortunatley do not have the exact resource for this cake stand but have found some that are similar. Links are below. Happy Baking!
and here is one that is ours.. https://www.bakefromscratch.com/product/aheirloom-cake-stand/
Is it possible to do this recipe as is and just omit the pineapple? Or would it end up too dry this way?
Thank you for reaching out. We have never tested this recipe with out the pineapples and do recommend them in this cake. It may lose a little flavor and moisture to the cake but you are welcome to omit the pineapples in this recipe. Happy Baking!
Sub with 2/3 cup of pineapple juice or any fruit juice you prefer. Otherwise, water or milk (whole or 2%)
Hola! yo he hecho esta receta con puré de manzana y su sabor es muy bueno. Sin piña o manzana queda bastante seca.
Could I make this cake into a Bundt cake? How long would it take to bake?
Hi Kiki! Yes, you can use a different pan for this recipe, but please keep in mind that we developed this cake specifically for the 9-inch cake pans. We cannot guarantee the results if baked in another pan. This would effect the cooking time so be sure to keep an eye on it. Thank you and happy baking!
Instead of using two round pans
Can use one big baking pan
If so what size would you recommend?
Hi Faye! Yes, you can use a different pan for this recipe, but please keep in mind that we developed this cake specifically for the 9-inch cake pan. We cannot guarantee the results if baked in another pan. You could always try a 9×13 pan like this one from Williams Sonoma: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-9-by-13-inch-cake-pan/?cm_src=AutoRel
Happy Baking and Thank you!
This carrot cake with pineapple makes it so moist and the addition of coconut adds a sweet, delicate flavor that you re going to love!
Hi Just wondering If i used this recipe to make cup cakes, about how many would it yield?
Thank you so much for reaching out! We have not yet tested this recipe for cupcakes, but we would approximate that this recipe will make 24 to 36 cupcakes.
One tablespoon of cinnamon seems like a lot when other recipes call for 1 1/2 teaspoons. Would you please verify this is correct? I’m planning to make this recipe for Easter this weekend. Thank you!
Thanks for reaching out! The amount for cinnamon is correct. Happy baking!
Just checking the amount of pineapple that is required.
Is it 2 cans at 8 ounces each, so 16 ounces of crushed pineapple altogether?
8 ounces of crushed pineapple in total?
Thank you for your question! The recipe will use 2 (8 ounce) cans, so 16 ounces total.
Hope this helps, and happy baking!
The cake has amazing flavour and holds together very well. The frosting has a creamy whipped texture to it.