The veggie-packed classic now comes in the compact form of a loaf cake, complete with an indulgent coat of that signature cream cheese icing.
Carrot Cake Loaf
makes 1 (8½ x 4½-inch) cake
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (112 grams) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) bourbon
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups (147 grams) shredded carrot (about 3 large carrots)
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped walnuts
- Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and eggs until well combined. Whisk in bourbon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, baking soda, and nutmeg. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, whisking just until combined. Fold in carrot and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Top with Cream Cheese Icing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cream Cheese Icing
makes about ¾-cup
- 2 ounces (55 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) bourbon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add bourbon and salt, beating until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Use immediately.
What issue was this carrot loaf, I made it a couple of times and everyone loved it but I can’t find in my magazines. Thanks
This is in our September/October issue, in the Stir Together Cake feature!
If I wanted to make this without the bourbon what could I replace it with? Pineapple juice? Vanilla extract ( but less )
Thanks for reaching out! Because it is such a small amount, you can replace the bourbon with most any liquid you desire– water, juice, milk or cream, or about 1/4 tsp vanilla diluted int 3/4 tsp of water. Happy baking!