Similar to those of a seafood chain favorite, these Cheddar-and-Garlic Drop Angel Biscuits are every bit as light and fluffy as they are flavorful. Seasoned with garlic powder and ground black pepper, mixed with a healthy helping of Cheddar cheese, and brushed with warm garlic butter, they’re sure to become a new wintertime favorite.
Cheddar-and-Garlic Drop Angel Biscuits
Makes about 28 biscuits
- 6 cups (750 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ cups (340 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups (170 grams) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) plus ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 3¼ teaspoons (6 grams) garlic powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) instant yeast*
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground black pepper
- 2 cups (480 grams) hot whole buttermilk (120°F/49°C to 130°F/54°C)
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, place 3 cups (375 grams) flour. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in 1 cup (227 grams) cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1 cup (113 grams) cheese. Freeze until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, 1 tablespoon (9 grams) salt, 1¼ teaspoons (2 grams) garlic powder, baking powder, yeast, baking soda, pepper, and remaining 3 cups (375 grams) flour. Add hot buttermilk, stirring just until combined. Let cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Add cheese mixture and room temperature buttermilk; knead in bowl until a dough starts to form. (It is OK if not all flour has been fully incorporated.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until all flour is incorporated. Using a 3-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough (about 60 grams each), and drop about 1 inch apart onto prepared pans. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for about 15 minutes.
- Bake, one batch at a time, for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup (57 grams) cheese (¼ cup or 28.5 grams per batch), and bake until golden brown and cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat parsley, remaining ½ cup (113 grams) butter, remaining 2 teaspoons (4 grams) garlic powder, and remaining ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt over medium heat until butter is melted. Brush hot biscuits with parsley mixture, and serve immediately.
*We used Platinum® Yeast from Red Star®.