Effortless, melt-in-your-mouth biscuits are within reach thanks to this cheddar-packed and onion-speckled quick bread. Powered by the fine texture of Swans Down Cake Flour, and receiving a rich boost from buttermilk, these biscuits are the ultimate comforting addition to breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Makes about 16 biscuits
- 4⅓ cups (485 grams) sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 1¼ cups (284 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups (170 grams) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (100 grams) finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup (240 grams) cold whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg white (30 grams), lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, and baking soda; sift flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until butter pieces are pea-size. Stir in cheese and green onion until well combined. Stir in cold buttermilk just until combined. (Dough may look dry and crumbly in spots but will come together later.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead 5 times. Pat dough into an 8-inch square, and cut into fourths. Stack each fourth on top of each other, and roll or pat down into an 8-inch square again. Repeat procedure twice. Roll or pat dough to 1-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut dough without twisting cutter, rerolling scraps as needed. Place biscuits at least 1½ inches apart on prepared pans. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Brush egg white onto biscuits.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.