A decadent blend of cocoa and almonds, these lofty Chocolate-Almond Sweet Rolls have unparalleled height thanks to Platinum® Yeast from Red Star®.
Chocolate-Almond Sweet Rolls
Makes 12 rolls
- 4½ to 4¾ cups (563 to 594 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅔ cup (50 grams) plus 3 tablespoons (15 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) Platinum Yeast
- 1½ teaspoons (4 grams) instant coffee granules
- 1¼ teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1⅓ cups (320 grams) whole milk
- ½ cup (113 grams) plus 1⁄3 cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (32 grams) finely ground almonds
- 1½ teaspoons (1.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (57 grams) sliced almonds
- White Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sliced almonds
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 4½ cups (563 grams) flour, ⅔ cup (50 grams) cocoa, granulated sugar, yeast, coffee granules, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and ⅓ cup (76 grams) butter over medium heat until butter is melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C). Add warm milk mixture to flour mixture; using the paddle attachment, beat at low speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Add egg, and beat until a shaggy dough forms; scrape sides of bowl.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium-low speed until dough becomes smooth and elastic and begins to pull away from sides of bowl, 9 to 11 minutes; add up to remaining ¼ cup (31 grams) flour, 1 tablespoon (8 grams) at a time, if the dough is too sticky. Turn out dough, and shape into a round. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, ground almonds, cinnamon, remaining ½ cup (113 grams) butter, and remaining 3 tablespoons cocoa.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with baking spray with flour.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 25x12-inch rectangle (about 1⁄5 inch thick), with one long side facing you. Using a knife or spatula, carefully spread butter mixture onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border along one long side. Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over surface. Starting with long side opposite border, tightly roll up dough into a log, pinching seam to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut ½ inch off either side. Cut remaining dough into 12 slices (about 2 inches each), and place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake until centers are just set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Top with White Chocolate Glaze, and garnish with sliced almonds, if desired. Best served warm.
White Chocolate Glaze
Makes ½ cup
- 2 ounces (57 grams) chopped white chocolate
- 4 teaspoons (20 grams) whole milk
- ½ tablespoon (7 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine white chocolate, milk, and butter. Heat on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until white chocolate is melted. Stir until combined. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.