It’s no understatement that doughnuts are an obsession for us, especially when it comes to these tender Chocolate-Glazed Baked Cake Doughnuts. It’s the satisfaction of eating a doughnut without all the frying fuss, plus they’re covered in chocolate! We’ll let you in on our secret behind these cake doughnuts: it’s all in the vanilla. We use Heilala Vanilla Pure Vanilla Extract to give extra flavor and depth to our vanilla cake base, but also to bring out the richness of that luscious chocolate glaze. These cake doughnuts are unbelievably satisfying, plus they’re easier to make than you think!
Before you dive into this recipe, stock up on our star ingredient! Heilala is offering our followers an exclusive discount on your vanilla purchase! Use the code BAKEFS220 to get 20% off in their online store.
Chocolate-Glazed Baked Cake Doughnuts
Makes 6 doughnuts
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled for 5 minutes
- ¼ cup (56 grams) canola oil
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (125 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (31 grams) unbleached cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk, room temperature
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugars and egg at medium speed until lightened in color and well combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add melted butter, oil, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. With mixer on medium-low speed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until smooth and combined after each addition, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Spray a 6-well Nordic Ware Classic Donut Pan with baking spray with flour.
- Spoon batter into 2 large piping bags; cut a ½-inch opening in each tip. Pipe batter into prepared wells. Firmly tap pan on counter several times to spread batter and release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes; invert doughnuts onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; place a wire rack on prepared pan, and spray with cooking spray.
- Working quickly, place a doughnut in Chocolate Glaze; use a spoon or a small silicone spatula to coat completely. Using 2 forks placed on opposite sides under doughnut, gently lift out of glaze, letting excess drip off; transfer to prepared rack. Use the point of a wooden pick to pop any air bubbles in glaze. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Let stand until glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
Makes about 1½ cups
- 3 cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup (25 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (3 grams) espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons (90 grams) whole milk
- 1½ tablespoons (31.5 grams) light corn syrup
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- In a large bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and espresso powder. Add milk, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt; stir until smooth and well combined. Use immediately.
[…] Chocolate-Glazed Baked Cake Doughnuts This was the recipe we used for the vanilla doughnuts and we put a vanilla glaze on them, they came in at a distant third. […]