Our eleventh recipe in our 12 Days of Holiday Cookies showcase is these timeless Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. These addictive cookies get a creamy boost from milk chocolate chips and a hint of crisp mint from peppermint extract. Crushed candy canes speckle the top for a traditional wintry finish.
Head over to @thebakefeed to enter our 12 Days of Holiday Cookie Giveaways! Every day from December 1 until December 12, we’re teaming up with Tillamook, Simply Organic, C&H Sugar, and Wolf Gourmet to give away holiday baking prize packs in 24-hour Instagram giveaways. All you have to do to enter is visit any of our daily holiday cookie giveaway posts and follow the instructions on the post. We’ll randomly select 10 winners every day for each giveaway. At the end of the contest, we’ll pull the winners from all 12 holiday cookie giveaway posts to select 3 grand prize winners who’ll receive a brand-new stand mixer from Wolf Gourmet!
To increase your chances of winning a holiday baking prize pack and being a grand prize winner, enter multiple times on each daily giveaway post!
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) peppermint extract
- 3¼ cups (406 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (85 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 2½ cups (425 grams) milk chocolate morsels
- ½ cup (75 grams) candy cane pieces
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. (Do not overmix.) Gently stir in chocolate morsels. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, drop dough at least 2 inches apart onto prepared pans.
- Bake, one batch at a time, for 16 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Remove from oven, and immediately sprinkle ½ teaspoon candy cane pieces on top of each cookie. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Using a thin spatula, remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.