This Cinnamon Roll Cake is the perfect hybrid of breakfast and dessert. Crunchy and aromatic Cinnamon Pecan Streusel made with Schermer Pecans meets smooth and tangy Cream Cheese Glaze in this one-layered masterpiece. Amber cinnamon mixes with light brown sugar to add a touch of warmth and sweetness throughout the layer of streusel. Paired together with the rich, buttery flavors of fresh Schermer Pecans, each layer holds the perfect balance of decadent holiday flavors. Best of all? The satisfying cinnamon-sugar delight of a warm cinnamon roll comes shining through each slice but takes half the time and effort of making a yeasted dough.
Looking for more pecan baking inspiration? Schermer Pecan’s has just launched the second edition of their well-loved holiday cookbook: Celebrating with Pecans: Our Collection of Holiday Recipes. Click the link to download a pdf featuring savory and sweet recipes like Pecan Sticky Toffee Pudding, Inside Out Pecan Sticky Buns with Sorghum Glaze, Pecan Puppy Chow (their version of the holiday Chex Mix). For those looking to try out something completely new, Schermer Pecan Flour is one of the most exciting specialty flours on the market. Naturally gluten and grain-free, it’s simply made of the finest pecans and nothing else, Try adding it to your favorite cookie, cake, or bread, recipe, subbing in ½ cup of pecan flour for an equal amount of all-purpose flour. Or you can incorporate it into your favorite press-in crusts for pie or cheesecakes.
If you’re already planning your holiday gift list, consider gifting one of Schermer’s many pecan products, like their Baker’s Box. It’s the perfect supply of pecans for the artisan home baker, including 3 (12-ounce) bags of medium pecan pieces and 3 (12-ounce) bags of fancy pecan halves. Or you can take advantage of current fresh pecan harvest and buy by the case, parceling out individual pecan present bundles! Buying pecans at the peak of harvest promises the finest-tasting pecans. And there’s no need to rush to bake. Store your pecans in the freezer, and you can enjoy them throughout the year.
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole buttermilk
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel (recipe follows)
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a Nordic Ware Cinnamon Bun Pull-Aparts Pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and sour cream. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon three-fourths of batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel; top with remaining batter. Using a knife, pull blade back and forth through batter to swirl streusel layer. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle Cream Cheese Glaze onto cake. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (38 grams) finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
- 2 ounces (56 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) whole milk
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Use immediately.
Hmmm. This picture doesn’t seem to match the recipe. Unless I am missing something?
Hi! This recipe originally called for a specific Nordic Ware pan – the Nordic Ware Cinnamon Bun Pull-Aparts Pan. However, if you don’t have that pan available, a Bundt pan could work or a ten inch cake pan.