This Cinnamon Roll Cake is the perfect hybrid of breakfast and dessert. The sweet cinnamon-sugar delight of a warm cinnamon roll comes shining through each slice, but takes half the time and effort of making a yeasted dough.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole buttermilk
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel (recipe follows)
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a Nordic Ware Cinnamon Bun Pull-Aparts Pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and sour cream. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon three-fourths of batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel; top with remaining batter. Using a knife, pull blade back and forth through batter to swirl streusel layer. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle Cream Cheese Glaze onto cake. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
Cinnamon Pecan Streusel
Makes about ½ cup
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (38 grams) finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
Cream Cheese Glaze
Makes about 1 cup
- 2 ounces (56 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) whole milk
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Use immediately.