If a cinnamon roll and a coffee cake had a seismic collision, the result would be this muffin. Perfect in the morning or as an afternoon pick-me-up, these flavor-packed muffins will not disappoint.
Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Pecans
- 2¾ cups (344 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups (293 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup (57 grams) finely chopped pecans, divided
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 8 jumbo muffin cups with parchment or paper liners, or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. In a small bowl, combine pecans, granulated sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling halfway full. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 tablespoon pecan mixture, and fill muffin cups with remaining batter. Swirl mixtures together with a wooden pick, and sprinkle tops with remaining pecan mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F, and continue baking until muffins are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.