For these decadent hand pies, we encase a creamy coconut filling with flaky pastry dough and finish it off with a drizzle of melted chocolate. Find more hand pies in our Artisan Pies & Tarts Special Issue, here.
Coconut Hand Pies
Makes about 20
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (227 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 to 8 tablespoons (60 to 120 grams) ice water
- Coconut Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- ½ cup (85 grams) 60% cacao semisweet chocolate morsels
- Garnish: toasted coconut
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, salt, and sugar; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add ice water, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, pulsing just until dough comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Spoon about 1 tablespoon Coconut Filling onto bottom half of each round. Brush edges of dough with egg. Fold dough over filling, and press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to prepared pans. Cut vents in top of dough to release steam; brush tops with egg.
- Bake until golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until smooth (about 1½ minutes total). Using the back of a spoon, drizzle chocolate over cooled pies. Garnish with coconut, if desired.
Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) coconut extract
- 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (25 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- In a large saucepan, heat milk, and extracts over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add ½ cup hot milk mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture in saucepan, whisking to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in coconut and butter until butter is melted. Pour into a bowl; cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of custard to prevent a film from forming. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.