These petite upside-down loaf cakes highlight Concord grapes in a brown sugar-thyme topping. Serve cakes slightly warm, topped with billows of whipped cream.
Concord Grape Upside-Down Mini Loaf Cakes
Makes 3 (5¾×3¾-inch) loaves
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup (150 grams) Concord grapes
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup (180 grams) low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour 3 mini (5¾×3¾-inch) loaf cake pans.
- In a medium saucepan, heat brown sugar and 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in Concord grapes and thyme. Divide mixture among prepared pans; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat granulated sugar and remaining ½ cup (113 grams) butter at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon about 1 cup batter over topping in each pan, and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 36 to 38 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Invert cakes onto a wire rack, and let cool completely. Using a serrated knife, trim domed bottom off each loaf to create a level bottom. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with thyme, if desired.