Our moist coffee cake blends buttery hazelnuts and bright cranberries while a crunchy Hazelnut Streusel and zesty Orange Glaze finish it off.
Cranberry-Hazelnut Coffee Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- Zest of 1 orange (9 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (300 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (8 grams) all-purpose flour, divided 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) crème fraîche
- ½ cup (64 grams) chopped dry roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 1½ cups (143 grams) fresh or frozen cranberries
- Hazelnut Streusel (recipe follows)
- Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in zest and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2½ cups (300 grams) flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with crème fraîche, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in hazelnuts.
- In a small bowl, toss together cranberries and remaining 1 tablespoon (8 grams) flour. Gently fold cranberries into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Top with Hazelnut Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. (Cake made with fresh cranberries will bake more quickly, by about 5 minutes, than cake made with frozen.) Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with Orange Glaze. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. To prevent cake from drying out, tightly wrap in plastic wrap.
Makes 2⅓ cups
- ⅔ cup (64 grams) hazelnut flour
- ½ cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 orange (9 grams)
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (57 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup (64 grams) chopped roasted hazelnuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, zest, cinnamon, and salt. Using your fingers, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly and desired consistency is reached. Stir in hazelnuts. Freeze until ready to use.
Makes ½ cup
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons (25 grams) fresh orange juice
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and orange juice until smooth. Use immediately.