Julie & Jesse consider this gluten-free bark the “melting pot” dish that mixes some of their families’ favorite ingredients. Julie and Jesse are both bacon lovers. Jesse Tyler Ferguson’s husband, Justin, enjoys pomegranate seeds. And Julie Tanous’ husband, Will, can’t resist dark chocolate. (He sneaks a bite from the pantry every night.) The whole clan adores macadamia nuts, which they associate with the holidays.
- ½ cup (48 grams) roughly chopped macadamia nuts
- 9 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped and divided
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, room temperature
- 1 cup chopped extra-crispy cooked bacon, divided
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) flaky sea salt, for finishing
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread the macadamia nuts on a baking sheet, and toast until golden and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. In a glass bowl, heat two-thirds of the chocolate in a microwave oven at high power in 30-second intervals until just melted. Stir until smooth. Add the remaining chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in the macadamia nuts, pomegranate seeds, and half of the bacon until evenly coated.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, and spread it into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle the remaining bacon evenly on top, and then sprinkle the flaky sea salt all over. Refrigerate until firm enough to cut, about 10 minutes. Chop bark into 3-inch pieces.