Made in the Nordic Ware® 75th Anniversary Braided Bundt® pan, this Earl Grey-Orange Bundt Cake takes all of the flavors of a classic cup of tea and turns them into a beautifully braided Bundt cake. Highlighted with bright bursts of citrusy orange zest, and swirled with a smooth cream cheese filling, this cake will be the highlight of your next afternoon tea.
Earl Grey-Orange Bundt Cake
Makes 1 (12-cup) Bundt cake
- 8 ounces (226 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups (375 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⅔ cups (334 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs (250 grams), room temperature and divided
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) plus 1 teaspoon (4 grams) finely ground Earl Grey tea (see Note), divided
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 1¼ cups (300 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons (16 grams) flour, and 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar at medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in 1 egg (50 grams) until well combined. Transfer mixture to a small bowl; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Clean bowl of stand mixer and paddle attachment. Using the paddle attachment, beat butter, 1⅓ cups (267 grams) granulated sugar, brown sugar, and orange zest at medium-low speed just until combined; increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add remaining 4 eggs (200 grams) one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition. (Mixture may look slightly broken at this point, but batter will come together.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons (16 grams) tea, salt, baking soda, and remaining 3 cups (375 grams) flour. Add tea mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with tea mixture, beating just until combined after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Spray a 12-cup Nordic Ware® 75th Anniversary Braided Bundt® pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon 3 cups (700 grams) batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter several times to settle batter and release any air bubbles. Using the back of a spoon, make a ¼- to ½-inch-deep, 1-inch-wide trench in center of batter in pan, leaving about a ¼- to ½-inch border around edges. Spoon half of remaining batter into a large pastry bag; cut a ½-inch opening in tip. Pipe a border of batter, tracing outer and inner edges of pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture and pipe batter in alternating dollops into trench in pan. After completing 1 ring in pan, pipe batter over cream cheese dollops and vice versa until cream cheese mixture is all used up. Drag a wooden pick through center of each dollop to swirl together. Pipe and gently spread remaining batter on top, covering cream cheese mixture. Do not tap pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Rotate pan, and loosely cover with foil. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer inserted near center registers 205°F (96°C), 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Using a small offset spatula, gently loosen cake from center of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet, and let cool completely.
- Brush cooled cake with melted butter.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon (4 grams) tea. Cover cake with sugar mixture, pressing gently to help adhere. Serve immediately.
Note: We used about 10 bags of Harney & Son’s Earl Grey Tea, processing the contents with a spice grinder to yield about 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon finely ground tea.