Featuring a lightly crisp exterior and an airy, chewy interior, this English Muffin Loaf is everything you love about English muffins. Top toasted slices with butter and jam for breakfast, or layer on ingredients for your best-ever sandwich.
English Muffin Loaf
Makes 1 (8½x4½-inch) loaf
- Cornmeal or semolina flour, for sprinkling
- 2½ cups (318 grams) bread flour
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) instant yeast*
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ⅔ cup (160 grams) water
- ½ cup (120 grams) warm milk (120°F/50°C to 130°F/54°C)
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) vegetable oil
- Lightly spray an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan with baking spray with fl our; sprinkle with cornmeal or semolina flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bread flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ⅔ cup (160 grams) water, warm milk, and oil. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dough onto itself a few times until dough is more elastic. Spread
- dough into prepared pan, and flatten top with wet fingertips. Sprinkle cornmeal or semolina fl our onto dough. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size and dough almost fills pan, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F
- (88°C), 20 to 25 minutes, covering with foil during fi nal 5 minutes of baking to prevent excess
- browning. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
*We used Platinum® Yeastfrom Red Star®.