A generous handful of airy almond macaroons, crumbled into pieces and swirled into our Lavazza Espresso-spiked semifreddo, lends pleasing crunch to each refreshingly cold spoonful of this partially frozen, Espresso and Amaretti Semifreddo.
Espresso and Amaretti Semifreddo
Makes about 10 servings
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cold water, divided
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) unflavored gelatin
- 1½ cups (360 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (90 grams) brewed Lavazza Espresso
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 6 large egg yolks (112 grams)
- 1 cup (85 grams) crumbled amaretti cookies
- ½ cup (60 grams) cacao nibs
- Garnish: crumbled amaretti cookies
- Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 4-inch overhang on all sides. Place pan in freezer until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, place 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cold water; sprinkle gelatin on top, and let stand until hydrated, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cold cream at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Transfer to a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together sugar, espresso, salt, and remaining ⅓ cup (80 grams) cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves; cook until a candy thermometer registers 240°F (116°C), about 14 minutes. Add gelatin mixture, and whisk until completely dissolved.
- Clean bowl of stand mixer and whisk attachment. Using the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks at high speed until thick and pale, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium; add sugar mixture in a slow, steady stream, and beat until pale, thick, and completely cool, about 3 minutes.
- Fold one-third of whipped cream into egg yolk mixture until just combined. Gently fold in one-third of whipped cream until just combined; gently fold
- in crumbled cookies, cacao nibs, and remaining whipped cream. Spoon and spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Uncover semifreddo; invert onto a serving plate. Remove loaf pan, and discard plastic wrap. Using a small offset spatula, smooth sides, if needed. Garnish with crumbled cookies, if desired. Serve immediately.
Easy to make and very delicious! 10/10 would make again