Dear chocolate lovers, you’re welcome. To celebrate Guittard (and their 150th anniversary!), we used a few of our favorite products to create a sophisticated thumbprint cookie. With cocoa powder in the dough, a pool of melty ganache in the center, and chocolate shavings and a light chocolate drizzle on top, this will be the most indulgent cookie you bake this season. Read more about Guittard’s chocolate-making process!
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder*
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 gram) baking powder
- Ganache (recipe follows)
- Garnish: melted bittersweet chocolate, flaked sea salt, bittersweet chocolate shavings (see Note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Shape dough into 1-inch (13-gram) balls, and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Using a ¼ teaspoon, gently make an indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake about 9 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven, and press down centers again. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spoon 1 teaspoon Ganache into center of each cookie. Drizzle with melted chocolate, and top with sea salt and chocolate shavings, if desired.
Note: Using a vegetable peeler, scrape blade lengthwise across room temperature chocolate to create shavings.
- ⅔ cup (113 grams) chopped bittersweet chocolate*
- ½ cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream
- Place chopped chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil over medium heat. Pour hot cream over chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.