We updated the classic streusel coffee cake with fresh ripe figs and almonds. No need to distinguish between breakfast and dessert—it’s an eat-it-anytime-you-crave-it cake. Find more figgy recipes in our 2018 September/October Issue, here!
Figgy Oat Coffee Cake
Makes 12 servings
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (60 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) almond extract
- ¾ cup (180 grams) plain yogurt
- 2 cups (220 grams) chopped fresh figs
- Oatmeal Almond Streusel (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, oats, baking powder, and salt; pulse until oats are ground, 6 to 7 times.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in figs. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with Oatmeal Almond Streusel.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Oatmeal Almond Streusel
Makes about 1½ cups
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (27 grams) old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped fresh figs
- ⅓ cup (38 grams) sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in figs and almonds.