Sweet caramelized onions are the secret to making this simple bread extraordinary.
Focaccia with Potato
- 1 quart cool water
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) black pepper
- 1 recipe Basic Focaccia Dough
- ¼ cup grated Asiago cheese
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup (10 grams) picked fresh thyme
- Place 1 quart cool water and salt in a medium bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes using a mandoline or very sharp knife. Place sliced potatoes in saltwater solution, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
- Turn out dough onto prepared pan. Using your fingertips, gently press dough into a 14x12-inch rectangle. Dimple the dough with your fingertips. Sprinkle dough with caramelized onions, and shingle with potato slices. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Brush with oil, and sprinkle with thyme.