This cake has the best of both worlds. The tart pop of Key lime zest is subdued by the smooth creaminess of white chocolate in this Frozen Key Lime White Chocolate Mousse Cake.
Frozen Key Lime White Chocolate Mousse Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 2 cups (260 grams) graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1½ tablespoons fresh Key lime zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice
- 1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2½ cups cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2½ (4-ounce) bars (285 grams) white chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: white chocolate curls
- For crust: In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and brown sugar. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch springform pan; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- For filling: In a small bowl, rub together 1 cup (200 grams) sugar and zest with your fingers to combine; set aside.
- In another small bowl, stir together lime juice and gelatin; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup cream and white chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved, and let cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and sugar mixture at medium speed until creamy. Add white chocolate mixture, and beat at low speed until smooth. In another large bowl, beat vanilla, remaining 2 cups cream and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) sugar with a mixer at high speed until medium peaks form. Fold whipped cream into white chocolate mixture; spoon into prepared crust, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Gently run a knife around edges of pan to release crust from sides of pan. Release pan, and place cake on a serving plate. Garnish with white chocolate curls, if desired.