Packing a hit of chai and gingerbread spice, these aromatic gingerbread chai cookies are rolled in a crystal coat of sparkling sugar for a touch of glitter and crunch. Find more gingerbread recipes in our 2018 November/December issue!
Gingerbread Chai Cookies
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- ¼ cup (85 grams) unsulphured molasses
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) Chai Spice (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (200 grams) sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg and molasses.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, Chai Spice, baking soda, ginger, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until well combined. Using a ¼-cup spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and shape into 2-inch balls. Roll balls in sparkling sugar, and place 2½ inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until tops are cracked, 15 to 16 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks.
Makes about ½ cup
- ⅓ cup (32 grams) ground cardamom
- 2½ tablespoons (15 grams) ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons (8 grams) ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients.