Raise a pint to your new favorite brownies – our Guinness Brownies! A double hit of extra stout beer in the batter and the frosting brings a tangy, hop-filled punch you never knew you needed. Find more boozy baking inspiration in our July/August 2020 issue!
Makes 12 to 16 brownies
- 2 cups (480 grams) Guinness Extra Stout
- 12 ounces (340 grams) 70% cacao bittersweet baking chocolate bars, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) espresso powder
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs (200 grams), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- Malted Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: bittersweet chocolate shavings
- In a small saucepan, bring Guinness to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1 cup, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate and espresso powder. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Add chocolate mixture and ¾ cup (160 grams) reduced Guinness, whisking until well combined. (Reserve remaining reduced Guinness for Malted Frosting.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, whisking until well combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan; using a small offset spatula, smooth into an even layer.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan. Spoon and spread Malted Frosting onto cooled brownies as desired. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired, and cut into bars.
PRO TIP: Any leftover reduced Guinness can be gently brushed over brownies before spreading on the frosting.
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 3¾ cups (450 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup (64 grams) malted milk powder
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) espresso powder
- 3 to 3½ tablespoons (37 to 43 grams) reduced Guinness Extra Stout (reserved from Guinness Brownies )
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and salt at medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar, milk powder, and espresso powder, beating just until combined. Beat in reduced Guinness and vanilla; scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Use immediately.