With a toasty Hazelnut Streusel topping and the tender crumb of banana bread, these muffins are a welcome treat for cold winter mornings.
Hazelnut-Banana Sour Cream Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter*, melted
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (150 grams) mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups (208 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ½ cup (120 grams) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60 grams) whole milk
- ¾ cup (85 grams) chopped raw hazelnuts
- Hazelnut Streusel (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, place melted butter. Whisk in sugar, mashed bananas, egg, and vanilla until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Whisk flour mixture into butter mixture. Add sour cream and milk, whisking just until combined. Fold in hazelnuts. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with Hazelnut Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and serve warm or at room temperature.
- ⅓ cup (42 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped raw hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in hazelnuts. Add melted butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly. Crumble with your fingertips until desired consistency is reached.