We’re bringing this classic New Zealand dessert to our summer tables when the weather in the northern hemisphere is comparable to the Yuletide season in New Zealand. These conditions are ideal for creating crisp, billowing meringue. This Heilala Vanilla Berry Pavlova receives heightened vanilla flavor from New Zealand’s own Heilala Vanilla, with Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract lending smoothness to the airy meringue base while Heilala Vanilla Paste adds a vanilla bean seed-flecked punch to the indulgent mascarpone filling.
Check out our Restock Your Pantry Giveaway here! Giveaway closes February 28, 2022.
- 1 cup (about 223 grams) egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
- 1½ cups (200 grams) fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup (100 grams) fresh blackberries
- 1 cup (100 grams) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (225 grams) cold mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste
- Preheat oven to 225°F (107°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a pencil, draw a 10-inch circle on parchment; turn parchment over.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, vanilla extract, cream of tartar, and salt at medium-high speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase mixer speed to high. Add 1½ cups (300 grams) sugar in a slow, steady stream, beating until glossy, stiff peaks form, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on humidity. Add cornstarch, and beat until well combined, about 10 seconds. Spoon meringue onto circle on parchment. Using the back of a large spoon, spread meringue into a 10-inch disk, pressing in center to form a well with a raised 2-inch border. (Meringue will expand during baking.)
- Bake until set and dry, 1½ to 2 hours. (Meringue will be very lightly colored and should feel dry to the touch, not tacky or sticky.) Turn oven off, and let meringue stand in oven with door closed for 1½ hours. Remove from oven, and let cool completely on pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and ¼ cup (50 grams) sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat mascarpone, cream, vanilla bean paste, and remaining ¼ cup (50 grams) sugar at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. (Do not overbeat.)
- To serve, place meringue on a serving platter. Fill center with mascarpone mixture, and top with berries. Serve immediately.