Packed with fresh herbs, this buttery Herbed Sour Cream Pull-Apart Loaf has an extra-fluffy texture thanks to the addition of sour cream in the dough.
Pick up a copy of our January/February 2020 for more ways with sour cream!
Herbed Sour Cream Pull-Apart Loaf
Makes 1 (9x5-inch) loaf
- 3¼ cups (413 grams) bread flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons (7 grams) instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup (240 grams) sour cream
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (60 grams) water
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) flaked sea salt
- Garnish: chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh thyme, chopped fresh parsley
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together 1½ cups (191 grams) flour, sugar, yeast, and 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt by hand.
- In a medium saucepan, heat sour cream, butter, and ¼ cup (60 grams) water over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C).
- With mixer on medium speed, pour warm sour cream mixture into flour mixture, beating until combined and cooled slightly, about 1 minute. Add egg, and beat at medium speed until combined. With mixer on low speed, gradually add remaining 1¾ cups (222 grams) flour, beating until well combined and stopping to scrape sides of bowl, about 1 minute.
- Lightly spray a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and remaining ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt.
- Divide dough into 36 pieces (22 grams each). With lightly floured hands, working with 1 piece at a time (keep remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying out), roll each piece into a smooth ball. Dip each ball into melted butter mixture, and place in a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Pour any remaining melted butter mixture over dough in pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sprinkle dough with flaked salt.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), 35 to 40 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and garnish with rosemary, thyme, and parsley, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.