Lemon Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie
Makes about 20
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add vanilla bean paste and zest, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Divide dough in half, and shape into 2 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each disk of dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Using a 21⁄2- inch fluted round cutter, cut dough. Place on prepared pans.
- Bake until firm but not browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks.