Gooey and chewy coconut macaroon meets fudgy rich brownie in this Macaroon Brownies mashup. A combination of cocoa powder and melted bittersweet chocolate gives these brownies a depth of chocolaty flavor. Meanwhile, a sprinkle of instant espresso powder in the brownie batter only enhances the rich chocolate flavor further. Warm, slightly bitter notes of coffee play perfectly with the sweet smoothness of the chocolate. But the true star of this show is the coconut macaroon swirl. Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, sweetened flaked coconut, and coconut extract come together to form a lusciously sweet and creamy coconut mixture. As it bakes, watch as the coconut and Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk turn into a golden, caramelized swirl, rich with a sweet, slightly nutty aroma. If your go-to brownies are starting to get boring, this is just the recipe to spice things up!
- 8 ounces (226 grams) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (15 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) instant espresso powder
- 4 large eggs (200 grams), room temperature and lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 (14-ounce) can (396 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups (114 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate and butter. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and whisk in sugars until well combined. (Mixture will not be smooth.) Let cool slightly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and espresso powder.
- Slowly add eggs to chocolate mixture, whisking until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Fold in flour mixture just until combined. Reserve 1 cup (290 grams) batter. Pour remaining batter into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, flaked coconut, and coconut extract. Alternately dollop three-fourths of condensed milk mixture and half of reserved brownie mixture by 2 teaspoonfuls onto batter in pan. Using the tip of a sharp knife, gently swirl together, being careful not to overmix. Alternately dollop remaining condensed milk mixture and remaining reserved batter on top of mixture in pan, and carefully swirl, being careful not to overmix.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs, 55 minutes to 1 hour, loosely covering with foil after 25 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars to serve.
Lovely recipe. I made individual portions in paper baking cups. Yes! Gooey and chewy. And coconutty for sure.
[…] Macaroon Brownies […]