A hearty trinity of rye, whole wheat, and bread flours forms a flavorful dough while oats and seeds become aromatic mix-ins and a crunchy topping.
Multigrain Dutch Oven Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups (254 grams) bread flour
- 11⁄4 cups (128 grams) dark rye flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup (130 grams) whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup (53 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup (36 grams) raw shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) flax seeds
- 21⁄4 teaspoons (7 grams) instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) fennel seeds
- 13⁄4 cups plus 21⁄2 tablespoons (432 grams) warm water (105°F/41°C to 110°F/43°C)
- Multi-Seed Topping (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, place flours, oats, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, salt, sesame seeds, flax seeds, yeast, and fennel seeds. Add 13⁄4 cups plus 21⁄2 tablespoons (432 grams) warm water, and stir by hand until fully incorporated and a sticky dough forms. (Alternatively, place flours, oats, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, salt, sesame seeds, flax seeds, yeast, and fennel seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add 13⁄4 cups plus 21⁄2 tablespoons [432 grams] warm water, and beat at medium speed until a sticky dough forms, about 30 seconds.)
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 2 hours. Then, refrigerate for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently press dough just to level and even it out. Starting on left side and working clockwise, fold edges of dough toward center, pressing lightly. Turn dough ball over, and using both hands, cup dough, and pull it toward you. Turn dough
- degrees, and repeat until you have a smooth, tight, sealed round. (See How To Shape + Score Your Dutch Oven Bread)
- Dust a sheet of parchment paper with rye flour; place dough on parchment, seam side up. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 1 hour.
- When dough has 30 minutes left to rise, place a 6- to 7-quart Dutch oven and lid in a
- cold oven. Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Carefully remove hot Dutch oven from oven; remove lid, and quickly turn bread into Dutch oven so seam is now on bottom. Brush top of loaf with water, and sprinkle with Multi- Seed Topping. Score top of bread (being careful not to touch hot sides of Dutch oven). Cover with lid, and place back in oven.
- Immediately reduce oven temperature to 450°F (230°C). Bake for 25 minutes. Remove lid, and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), about 15 minutes more. Immediately remove loaf from Dutch oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes about ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) raw shelled sunflower seeds
- 11⁄2 teaspoons (4.5 grams) black sesame seeds
- 11⁄2 teaspoons (4.5 grams) flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) fennel seeds
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients.